This is from a recipe taken from the website www.aboutthatfood.com for a vegan summer berry cake. Looks like art!
for the sponge:
- 17cm cake tins
- 1 1/4 cup of oat milk at room temperature
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 cup shredded nectarine
- 1/3 c coconut oil at room temperature
- 1 cup whole cane sugar
for the cream:
- 3 cans of coconut milk refrigerated overnight
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- 2 tbsp oat milk
- 2 handfuls of berries of your choice to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180 C
- In a small bowl whisk together the milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and soda, the vanilla powder and lemon zest until well combined.
- Next shred the nectarines using a grater or a food processor with a shredding blade.
- Then add the coconut oil and the sugar to the milk and apple cider vinegar. Using a hand mixer beat the mixture until everything comes together.
- Add the shredded nectarines and the liquid ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix everything until well combined.
- Next evenly divide the batter into 3 baking tins lined with baking paper. If you don’t have that many tins, just use some bowl for the time being and bake the layers separately.
- Bake the layers for 20mins.
- Let them cool down a little bit before removing them from the tins.
- Next make the coconut cream. Open the refrigerated cans and scrape out the hard part from the top of the cans. Make sure to not get any of the liquid. Add to your blender together with the agave and the oat milk. Blend until a smooth cream forms.
- Now it’t time to assemble the cake. Make sure they sponge has cooled down completely. You can even put it into the refrigerator to make sure it won’t melt the cream.
- Place the base layer on a plate or a cake stand and spread out one 3rd of the cream. Add a few of the berries and place the next layer on top. Repeat these steps with the remaining ingredients. You can add any type of fruit you like to this cake it doesn’t have to be berries.